So what’s the point of filing for a federal trademark?
Trademarking your brand (or business name, logo, etc) gives you exclusive PROTECTION! So the better question is, why WOULDN’T you want to trademark your brand?
You’ve already spent countless hours creating and building your brand. You created something that is YOURS. You want your brand to be recognized, and not copied by other people. Trademarking helps you protect these things.
Even if you think you’re in such an early stage where you think it isn’t worth paying for, HERE IS WHY IT IS: (the basics)
- Hiring a trademark attorney to perform a comprehensive search means they will check to see if your brand or logo are available for use so you won’t be infringing on someone else’s mark.
- A trademark can take 8 months to over a year in some cases to process and get registered.
- Even if you think nobody else has the same EXACT name and spelling of your brand, so you can just wait to trademark, that is NOT all that matters! If a mark is even confusingly similar, there might be a problem. Better to know this in the beginning vs down the road.
- If you have a registered trademark, you won’t have to worry about someone else coming in and telling you that your mark may confuse consumers because it is the same/too similar to theirs.
- You can protect YOUR brand from infringers.
Basically, all of these come down to: Invest in a trademark early to cover yourself & save money down the line!
Did you know that a mark doesn’t even have to be the same as someone else’s to be refused registration?